[Discuss-gnuradio] SSV-online

From: Steve Schear
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] SSV-online
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:19:55 -0800

One relatively popular feature of sci-fi is the assumption that if ETs did visit Earth's surface using physical vehicles they would use some sort of stealth technology to hide their craft from discovery. Such speculative fiction is far afield from the hard science and technology of this list but my posting the other day about Lockheed's HAA project and passive radar (A good reason for an invigorated passive radar project) got me to thinking that maybe the search for both might be an interesting project using GnuRadio.

From what I understand most of the passive radar discussion in the list have been focused on some type of phased array radar at a single geographic location. For locating stealth craft in the atmosphere (e.g., both HAAs and ETs) it seems that a more distributed approach might be better, enabling lower cost per sensor location and greater geographic coverage. What I have in mind is something akin to the way lightning strikes are monitored in remote or largely uninhabited areas (e.g., forests) using VLF. The passive system could use available high-powered terrestrial transmitters as the illuminators or perhaps better yet the HF emanations from the ionosphere or HF/VHF signals created by meteors. http://klickitat.ee.washington.edu/mgmeyer/Articles/morabito+etal-2005.pdf

I suggest the name SETV, or Search for Stealth Vehicles - Online. Each sensor location in SSV would be a connected to the Internet and synchronized and phased using a GPS-locked clock. Each might have 3 antennas: 2 vertical loops at right angles to provide direction and one vertical antenna for overall intensity. The PC components of the sensors will perform distributed computation to digest their own data, portions of the collective input, exchange captured/reduced data (perhaps via Bit Torrent) and provide a visualization component to make visible SSV sighting candidates.

Steve