Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8b/10b for GMSK

From: Brett L. Trotter
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8b/10b for GMSK
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 12:19:52 -0600

Johnathan Corgan wrote:
> Brett L. Trotter wrote:
>

>> Yay- congratulations- transferred 100MB successfully and all of my
>> 'stumbler' packets- even with UDP.
>>

> You're using FSP (which goes over UDP), correct?  FSP has a retry
> mechanism, so good.  Glad it's working now!

I used FSP for the 'stumblers' but did the 100MB with scp (though the
FSP did work for the 'stumblers'- I'll test FSP on the big file here
momentarily)

>> I'm going to continue work on the 8b/10b, because I still think
>> that's the closest 'real' solution to the issue- and the overhead
>> isn't as severe as repeating 1500 byte packets-
>>

> Well, only the "stumbler" packets get repeated, and as you found, there
> were only five in 10,000 that you tried. So your overhead isn't 100%,
> it's no different than if your channel dropped one in 2000 packets. (For
> those following, the problem before resulted in a complete link failure,
> as the retransmitted packets on the connection would always fail CRC.)

True enough, but that was also with random data- ordered data could
yield either significantly higher hangup rate or perhaps none at all.
8b/10b seems like a good generic robustness idea- as I said, I'll
implement it and test it, and if anyone wants to turn it on, cool beans.

>> Worst case, it can be an option in the python that most people can
>> leave turned off.
>>

> An 8b/10b line coding scheme would probably be best implemented as a
> standalone hierarchical block that a developer could choose to use or
> not as part of a flow graph implementing a transmit and receive path.

Sounds like a good plan and more or less what I had in mind.

>> FYI: Am achieving nearly 100kb/s with -r 800k on a BasicTX
>>

> Is that bytes or bits per second?

89-94 kibibits per second, nifty! (And thats not accounting for SCP
overhead)