Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8b/10b for GMSK

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 8b/10b for GMSK
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 12:25:32 -0800

Brett L. Trotter wrote:

>>> FYI: Am achieving nearly 100kb/s with -r 800k on a BasicTX
>>>
>> Is that bytes or bits per second?
>>
> 89-94 kibibits per second, nifty! (And thats not accounting for SCP
> overhead)

You should be getting much higher rates.

At the default of 500 kilobits per second bit rate for GMSK, I can
transfer, using scp, a 10 megabyte file in 3:32, or 212 seconds, for a
effective throughput of about 49 kilobytes per second, or about 386
kilobits per second.

That's shows about 23% overhead in terms of modulation, packet overhead,
protocol overhead, collisions, and probably most significantly, the
overhead from relinquishing the channel while the other end is sending ACKs.

If you had the similar efficiency as the above, you'd be getting around
600-700 kilobits per second.  Are you sure your figures aren't kilobytes
instead?

-Johnathan