Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband signaling usb host

From: David Scaperoth
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband signaling usb host
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:23:10 -0500

I have a more basic question about the capacity reservation

Along a similar line, I have a question about capacity...the USB 2.0 is transferring data 512 bytes at a time. So, the capacity is a number less than 512 bytes, or is it variable in case someone decided to change the value from 512 bytes to some other value?

Just to give some input on the "Discussion" in the cmd_rcv_raw_samples, one reason that it may not seem to matter, which method you choose right now is that you are not really sending the "enable flag" or multiple receive message with a specific time in mind (i.e. you don't send timestamps when you are sending the cmd_recv_raw_samples). so, when you transition from continuous to discontinuous, its not tightly coupled with time (unless I am misunderstanding something). This may matter in the case where you are doing a frame search (in TDMA), and you simply want a continuous stream of samples until you find the correct starting time slot, then you may want the next set of receive samples (if the first data slot is a receive slot) to be from a time slot in the near future based on the time-stamp found on the frame sync.

So, when you are doing reception that has to be tightly coupled with time, how do you specify when to retrieve the samples? or were you thinking that you would simply keep receiving samples from the USB, and checking the time-stamp on the response_recv_raw_samples() to see if it was "just right"? I would tend to think that only receiving samples when you wanted them would be ideal, and in that case you would need a time-stamp argument in the cmd_recv_raw_samples.

David