Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't get input from sound card.

From: LRK
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't get input from sound card.
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:35:26 -0500

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 01:15:34AM -0600, Bahn William L Civ USAFA/DFCS wrote:

> I still can't get any input from the sound card. I have installed GNU
> Radio on a completely different computer. The dial_tone.py program
> works. I get a flat line (it bounces around between -8e-5 and +4e-5)
> when I run audio_fft.py in the oscilloscope mode.
>
> In the hopes of perhaps, possibly getting some kind of a response, I'll
> try to ask very specific questions.
>
> 1) Is the signal source for audio_fft.py supposed to default to the
> sound card microphone?
>
> 2) If not, what is the default?
>
> 3) If not, can I tell it to use the sound card microphone?
>
> 4) If yes, how?

I'm running FreeBSD and the sound cards are controlled by the 'mixer'
command. There is a similar command in Linux. Maybe 'amixer'?

I have to select the input with the 'mixer', either mic or line. I also
have a control named 'rec' which sets the input volume level. The latest
versions of FreeBSD save the mixer settings across re-boots.

I have not found a way to set these from GR and I have some soundcards
which do show a 'rec' control and do not work. Best I can tell the
soundcard world is a 'black art' and there are no standards.

Maybe someone can shed more light on this.

--
LRK
address@hidden