RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't get input from sound card.

From: ematlis
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Can't get input from sound card.
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:12:10 -0400 (EDT)

I just got the audio_fft.py running, and this is how I did it on a Fedora Core 6 x86_64 machine, in KDE with a set of earphones/microphone:

1) started kmix, went to the "Input" selection and enabled "capture" 2) verified that audio_fft.py was responding by starting it in Oscilloscope mode, ie "./audio_fft.py -S" with Autorange selected and the timescale set to 1ms/div. I can "see" myself typing this email as the microphone picks up the key-clicks.

3) quit audio_fft.py and restarted it without any flags, ie "./audio_fft.py"

4) right-clicked on the gui window, and selected the highest db/div setting, ie 20 db/div. Otherwise, there was no visible activity on the scale. An alternative would be to decrement the reference level, again by right-clicking and selecting "Decr Ref Level" several times until you see graph activity. I can now see the broadband spectrum as I snack on some peanuts, which seems to be centered below 2 kHz. Incidentally, I can't seem to whistle above 2.5 kHz.

eric