Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MSB

From: Davide Anastasia
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MSB
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:37:03 +0100

Hi List,
again at work.... :)

Il giorno ven, 16/03/2007 alle 14.05 -0700, Eric Blossom ha scritto:
> One way to approach this is to modify usrp.source_c so that it
> internally handles the format conversion, and always produces
> gr_complex as its output type.

As I plan to do.

> When dealing with 1 bit samples, there is the question of whether you
> want to treat them as -1, +1 or  0, +1.  I suspect that -1, +1 makes
> more sense, but on the other hand, treating them as -32767, 32767
> would be consistent with how the 8-bit samples are handled.  That is,
> they are multiplied by 256 so that they fill the same range as the
> "normal" 16-bit I & Q.

I don't know which representation is better, but I think that changing
it after the code is written is really simple.

> Another thought is to define a new complex interface that always
> returns values normalized to [-1.0, +1.0].

Why not a new module? I think a new module (called gr_vector_normalizer,
maybe?) is the best solution to preserve the generality of the library.

Ugly English today... sorry. I hope you understand me! :)
Regards,
--
Davide Anastasia

web: http://www.davideanastasia.com/