Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on Windows XP (or Vista...)

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on Windows XP (or Vista...)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:02:45 -0400

I've been asked about getting the code we are using running on a Windows XP or Vista based box.

It runs fine on XP; it should run on Vista, but I haven't heard of anyone who has tried it.

Is there a 'easy' to understand installable package, or do I have to setup a cygwin environment (or having set cygwin up, is there a packaged tar image...), and then compile from sourced
to get things going?

The wiki page http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/WindowsInstall pretty much explains the current options (Cygwin or MSYS) and points to step-by-step instructions for each system.

Also, on the topic of Windows support, is the 'graphics' using the windows native environment
or does one have to run an X server?

GNU Radio uses wxPython, which can be built to use native Windows graphics; no X server is needed.

-- Don Ward