Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Mode S and ADS-B

From: Martin Dvh
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Mode S and ADS-B
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:57:18 +0200

Cory Papenfuss wrote:
>> I have a digital-wip branche which is work in progress for digital QAM
>> stuff
>> and
>> general-wip which is my work in progress for general gnuradio things
>> (latest addition is gr-cxadc, a driver for cx2388x capture cards to
>> use as a general purpose high-speed ADC frontend as a cheap
>> alternative for
>> an USRP)
>>
>> Greetings,
>> Martin
>>
>     Has there been some progress on that front then?  I've been lurking
> here for awhile, but last time I looked into this I don't think the TV
> -capture cards were viable.  The BT8xx chips still have holes in the
> data, right?  CX2388x can stream baseband without VBI holes?
Yes they can.

Look in the mailinglist for TV card SDR:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2007-04/msg00134.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2007-04/msg00042.html

How Chee page on this:
http://www.geocities.com/how_chee/cx23881fc6.htm
My page on this:
http://www.olifantasia.com/projects/gnuradio/mdvh/cx2388x/cxadc/

SVN files are in
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/branches/developers/nldudok1/general-wip
cxadc is the kernel driver
gr-cxadc is the gnuradio driver/glue
gnuradio-examples/cxadc  are the example scripts

In short:
We can capture without gaps from the video-input.
There is a gr-cxadc gnuradio glue driver so you can use it right from gnuradio
scripts as input (just like usrp)

Tuning any tuner on the TV-card is not implemented in the gr-adc glue yet, I am
working on that.

(If you want to use the tuner you also have to connect an IF-output of the
tuner to the video-input.)

How Chee has used the 10.7 Mhz 200 kHz wide if-output of his card.
I am working on the pcHDTV3000 card which has a 8 MHz wide IF output at 44 Mhz.

I am currently working on enabling tuning for any tuner which is on the tv-card.
The goal is that the code will support any tuner out-there so you could even
replace a tuner without if to a tuner with if-output.

I have been using the code with an external tuner frontend and did some
experiments with fm-receiving, which just works fine.

Greetings,
Martin