Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFT Spectral smoothing

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFT Spectral smoothing
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:24:16 -0700

Peter Monta wrote:

> I guess he means time.  This would greatly improve
> the FFT demos, since currently there is no "video
> filtering", as the spectrum analyzer folks say.

In the current FFT demo, it is possible to right-click on the display
and select 'Average'.  This will perform low-pass filtering on each FFT
bin such that the "noise" averages to its rms value but the signal peaks
 remain.  This is done in the flow graph by using a
gr.single_pole_iir_filter as an exponential averager.  You can do this
in the waterfall mode as well.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC