[Discuss-gnuradio] Why 4 ADC's?

From: Ian Larsen
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Why 4 ADC's?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:33:44 -0400

Hello,

I have a conceptual question about the USRP.  Why are there 4 A/D
converters?  Is it only for flexibility reasons, or can you acheive
double the sampling rate by clocking two of them 180 degrees of from
each other and interleaving the resulting data?

Also, it looks to me like the default configuration uses two separate
A/D's for complex sampling.  (A/D0 and A/D1 go to DDC0's I and Q
inputs, respectively) If the A/D's are synchronized, won't they always
produce the same (or very similar) data?  If so, what's the point of
using two at once?

Thanks,
Ian Larsen

--