[Discuss-gnuradio] Low cost, low power FPGA card

From: Kim Toms
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Low cost, low power FPGA card
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:18:28 -0400

Arrow has designed a new demonstration card for the Cyclone III FGPA from Altera.  I attended one of the seminars yesterday.  The board contains many peripherals, an EP3C25F324 FPGA, 1Gb SD Card, 96x64 pixel bit mapped OLED display, audio out, several LEDs, buttons,  32Mb CFI Parrallel Flash, 8Mbyte cellular RAM, USB connector, User digital I/O and analog inputs routed to a LTC1863LCGN (200 Ksps 16 bit 89 dB ADC)

After the seminar, they give you the card and development system.  The development system includes Quartus (for writing FGPA code), the GNU C compiler targeted at the NIOS II 32 bit CPU which takes up roughly 10% of the FPGA depending on configuration, and some software for designing power supplies like this board demonstrates.  Oh, yes, it includes a battery that runs the MP3 player application when not connected to the USB, when connected to USB, it charges the LI-Ion battery.

Price of my seminar was ~150 dollars, although they claim that others are ~450.  In class, we were unable to reprogram the FPGA, although they said this would be fixed soon.  This seminar was the first one ever, taking place in Dayton, OH.

If you're interested in a board like this, and learning more about FPGA systems you might consider taking the seminar.  The seminar was NOT an introduction to VHDL or Quartus, so if you're starting out in FPGA design, it may be a steep learning curve even with the hardware.

The board is said to be work ~400 dollars, and I have no doubt it is.  You do get all the schematics and so forth if you want to make one yourself.