Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Program FPGA

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Program FPGA
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 06:25:50 -0700

NOTE: please start new threads with a fresh email, not by replying to
another thread.

Sabu wrote:

>  Observed that the 3 commands towards the end of the */UbuntuInstall /*- viz
>     1    ../benchmark_usb.py
>     2   ./test_usrp_standard_tx
>     3   ./test_usrp_standard_rx
>
> require a power-cycling (OFF-ON) after executing any one command.
> Otherwise the second command returns an error
> [/failed to find usrp(0/)] as shown in the relevant log-file below:

> *Querry A : How do I get ri**d of power-cycling, in order to accept
> second command to USRP*?

You have encountered the GNU Radio 3.0.3 bug with Linux kernel 2.6.20.
There is already a fix available, but it hasn't made into a new GNU
Radio release.

Please obtain the Subversion client software (install with Synaptic in
Ubuntu), then follow the directions for checking out and installing GNU
Radio at:

http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/BuildGuide

Be sure to use the latest release 3.0 branch code at:

http://gnuradio.org/svn/gnuradio/branches/releases/3.0

> *Querry B :*How do I get usrp_fpga.rbf and usrp_firmware.ihx, if they
> are needed?

That tutorial is outdated; the correct files are in place and are
getting loaded automatically.

> It also says subsequently that, to listen to FM stations, we can connect
> a speaker to the sound card and insert a piece of
> wire to the RX-A connector and then run the example command:
> *"sudo ./wfm_rcv_gui.py 101.5." *
> *Querry C: Where do I get  **wfm_rcv_gui.py ? *If it is no more valid,
> what is the equivalent substitute*?*

The file is in:

gnuradio-examples/python/usrp/

And you should invoke it with:

./usrp_wfm_rcv_gui.py -f 101.5M

(Use whatever local broadcast band FM station is in your area)

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC