[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP data rates

From: Lisa Creer
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP data rates
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 23:07:55 -0400

The USRP sales brochure lists as a feature "Capable of processing signals up to 16 MHz wide". I can only figure out how it can process signals up to 8 MHz wide. What am I missing?

Since samples sent across the USB are 16-bit signed integers (16-bit I and 16-bit Q for complex samples) that makes each complex sample size 4 bytes. Since the USB max is 32MB/s, we have a limit of 8MS/s which translates to an effective bandwidth of 8MHz wide.

I noticed that there is another method besides usrp.source_c() to retrieve data from the USRP, it is usrp.source_s(). Is this returning  an even smaller sample that would somehow get us to the 16 MHz wide bandwidth? What exactly is this method returning?

Thanks in advance.