Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] the best file system for reading fast

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] the best file system for reading fast
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:27:17 -0700

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 02:06:51AM +0200, Vincenzo Pellegrini wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> today I bought a 7200 rpm SATA HD
> (a seagate barracuda, as Eric suggested some months ago)
> in order to be able to sustain a complex 8Msps flow (32MB/s) towards the
> usrp.
>
> Once I formatted it with the XFS filesytem, following Rayan's tip, it
> looked like I was getting the appropriate throughput...
>
> is anybody using any other high performance filesystem to do this kind
> of things?
>
> ..just to know if other options exist...
>
> thanks
> vincenzo

Jim's ideas are good.  I'd use a filesystem ;)

I suspect that reading from ext2 or ext3 at 32MB/s should be OK on the
drive you bought.  If you want to go faster, you can use RAID 0 to
stipe the data across two or more drives.  This is easy to setup if
you use LVM2.  Just tell it to stripe the logical volume (LV) across
the drives.  There are examples of how to set this up in the LVM
HOWTO.

  http://sourceware.org/lvm2

Every Linux distribution I know of ships with LVM2.

Eric