Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] the best file system for reading fast

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] the best file system for reading fast
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:18:42 -0700 (PDT)

--- Eric Blossom <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 02:06:51AM +0200, Vincenzo Pellegrini wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > today I bought a 7200 rpm SATA HD
> > (a seagate barracuda, as Eric suggested some months ago)
> > in order to be able to sustain a complex 8Msps flow (32MB/s)
> towards the
> > usrp.
> >
> > Once I formatted it with the XFS filesytem, following Rayan's tip,
> it
> > looked like I was getting the appropriate throughput...
> >
> > is anybody using any other high performance filesystem to do this
> kind
> > of things?
> >
> > ..just to know if other options exist...

I think XFS is the way to go if you need fast I/O.  Use large blocks.
SGI invented XFS just for this purpose, performance.  Still 32MB/Sec
is about the most you can expect on a single drive setup.

I've got a SATA drive in this iMac and I get about 32MB/Sec max.
Mac OS X is BSD UNIX based.  Hate to say it but you are on the
borderline.

Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  address@hidden
  Office: 310-336-5189  address@hidden
  KG6OMK

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the
Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/