Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VHDL / Verilog Combination.

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] VHDL / Verilog Combination.
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:31:16 -0400

On 9/11/07, S Mande <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I scanned the Mailing List Archive and figured out that the code that goes
> inside USRP FPGA is Verilog code.
>
> I personally know VHDL and was looking to make some changes to the FPGA
> code.
>
> I was wondering if it is possible for the existing (USRP's) Verilog and my
> VHDL code to co-exist ? If yes, than do I need to make some special changes
> to the existing USRP Verilog code for both to coexist?

Quartus can do mixed-mode synthesis meaning you can have both VHDL and
Verilog code as long as they are in different modules.  You will want
to read exactly how Quartus does it all, but it is in fact possible.

> Or would it be advisable to code my new module in Verilog only?

It is advisable to just learn the Verilog.  VHDL is a much more
difficult language to understand due to the strict typing rules.  If
you can understand and write synthesizable VHDL, picking up Verilog
should be a snap.

In summary: you can write VHDL if you want to deal with the headaches
associated with it, but learning Verilog (since you already know VHDL)
should be much easier and produce a lot less headaches.

Brian