Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DECT anyone?

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] DECT anyone?
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:10:48 -0500

On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 10:36 -0800, Eric Blossom wrote:

> > is anyone already working on DECT?
>
> Johnathan did a bit of work a while ago.  Not sure where that code
> ended up.  I thought it was in "limbo", but I didn't find it there.

I had started a receiver module in examples/python/dect, but didn't get
very far.  What's there will tune to a supplied frequency, apply the
appropriate channel filter, demodulate the GMSK to (unpacked) bits, then
record to a file.  I was able to "grep" the bits for DECT
pre-amble/synchronization codes and see them.

This was to be a "service monitor" type of application, not a base
station or handset.  So none of the TDMA aspects were considered.  We
still need (ahem) mblocks and in-band signaling to properly implement
either end of the protocol.

A base station stack that could handle a single DECT TDMA carrier would
be able to support 12 cordless phones full-duplex.  Wrap it up in an
Asterisk channel driver and you have a small office cordless PBX for the
price of a USRP and PC, using entirely Open Source software.

The DECT protocols are very well documented, and the handsets are very
cheap...

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC