Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Output of usrp_rx_cfile and Input of ATSC demodul

From: John Clark
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Output of usrp_rx_cfile and Input of ATSC demodulator
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:26:41 -0800

Wuest Brandon-WTVR47 schrieb:
All,
In the hopes of trying to understand the various aspects of GNU Radio and the USRP hardware, I am trying to use the ATSC demodulator included with GNU Radio to create an MPEG transport stream from the output of usrp_rx_cfile.py. Something I know has been discussed many times on this forum. I am having a problems with disk writing not being able to keep up with the high data rate, so I am trying to do a little manipulation of the IQ data to get around this. What I am trying to do it get 8-bit samples from the usrp (which my disk can keep up with) and then before I feed that in to interp.py, I convert every pair of bytes to a complex<float>.

Perhaps I missed something here... if you are having problems recording 2 '8-bit' integers, why would converting those integers to floats, that is creating now 2 4 byte quantities... improve performance in any way.

Back when I worried about such things, I usually thought about maintaining everything in 'integer' form, and should I have needed a 'FFT', I would start thinking about Galois Fields, prime generator polynomials... and the like, but stay with integers...

John Clark.