[Discuss-gnuradio] gr-qtgui working?

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-qtgui working?
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 21:18:01 -0500

I'm trying to get 'gr-qtgui' to work on OSX (10.4, but doesn't really matter), and have finally figured out that I need QT 3 (not 4, at least on OSX the way QT4 gets installed, even though the .m4 script looks for >= 3.3) and QWT 4 or 5 paired with it (qwt 5.0.2 is the latest, so I'm using that). I have to set QWT_CFLAGS, but that's pretty simple to deal with. Now that I have QT and QWT, correct versions, installed, doing "make" in that module results in:
++++++++++
Making all in gr-qtgui
Making all in src
Making all in lib
make  all-am
[snip]
fftdisplay.cc:68:2: warning: #warning Pass the axis info as necessary...
fftdisplay.cc:122:2: warning: #warning Add code here for handling magnitude, scaling, etc...
[snip]
qt_examples.cc:13:2: warning: #warning Must make this threadsafe
[snip]
/bin/sh ../../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++ -g -O2 -Wall - Woverloaded-virtual -L/opt/local/lib -o qt_examples fftdisplay.o qt_examples.o moc_fftdisplay.o -lqwt -framework Carbon -framework QuickTime -framework OpenGL -framework AGL -L/opt/local/lib -lqt-mt - lmng -ljpeg -lpng -lz ../../../gnuradio-core/src/lib/libgnuradio- core.la
libtool: link: cannot find the library `' or unhandled argument `Carbon'
make[5]: *** [qt_examples] Error 1
The 'Carbon' and related stuff comes from the qt.pc pkg-config file, which looks OK when editing under Emacs (no strange characters). All of the above looks OK to me ... but clearly it doesn't compile cleanly on OSX. And I assume it's an OSX issue? I haven't tried this on Linux yet.

Is anyone still maintaining this module? What's up with the #warning's? Unfinished code? It looks like the latest significant change was in March'07.

Is QWT/QT better for going graphics than WX? Being an OSX user, I prefer Aqua-native if at all possible, but since that requires it's own OSX specific module and coding which would take significant time on my part, that's probably not going to happen. Thus looking at a more OS-neutral alternative: tk, qwt/qt, wx, whatever ... I have experience with WX only because of GNU Radio, but I have no experience with the others.