Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP

From: Gregory Maxwell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:26:35 -0400

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Jeff Brower <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greg-
>  On days that I'm in philosophical mode, I completely agree.  But the reality
> is that MATLAB is far more widely used
>  than Octave.  MATLAB is at the core of the commercial and academic RF
> community, Octave is not.  If we are to increase
>  awareness and popularity of GNU Radio, there is no escaping MATLAB
> compatibility.

For this purpose you shouldn't think of Octave as something totally
separate from MATLAB, think of it has the free software compatible
version of MATLAB.

If I were going to advocate something other than for purposes of
compatibility it wouldn't be any matlab-esq language.  Really with
being built on python GNU radio already has much of what people need
for development work all built in...