Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP

From: Jeff Brower
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 19:29:23 -0500

> more two cents
>
> I love Matlab and I use it every day but there is a time and a place
> for it and it is not as an computational engine for a software defined
> radio. Signal processing for an SDR is just not the right use for it.
> It just can't keep up. If you were generating complied code in simulink
> for some real time target OS via the real time workshop with the intent
> of interfacing with the USRP I could see the application but just
> streaming data into Matlab for processing is just using the USRP as a
> cheap sampling scope frontend. I would hope the USRP is more than a
> cheap front end to a digital scope. I know alot of people use it(USRP)
> for this but the real work and beauty of this project is the signal
> processing blockset and framework to allow the construction of a radio.
> I think the effort should be put into moving the GNU radio code forward
> not trying to support a sideline application.

I know I will be in trouble with Eric for posting on this subject again...

I would point out to Jeff Long that MATLAB has always been intended for
simulation,
not real-time operation.  Everyone knows it can't keep up.

The synergy of using it with GNU Radio would be to simulate a system before
coding/implementing it entirely in GNU Radio.  The common example is a block
diagram
where MATLAB is handling a few (typically new/advanced/experimental) blocks in
the
middle, with GNU Radio everywhere else, including RF analog I/O.  Then at some
point
the simulation works and the focus moves to real-time operation without MATLAB.

It's been this way for years with many types of DSP and FPGA hardware/software
set-ups.  Get it simulated first, then move blocks out of MATLAB, one-by-one.
One
advantage of this technique is it provides a "known good" to fall back on for
debug
purposes.

I'm not commenting on merits of MATLAB vs. or merits of proprietary vs. free,
I'm
just saying that the "start with MATLAB simulation" approach is very common in
the RF
(and signal processing) developer communities.  Supporting that approach with
GNU
Radio would only be advantageous to GNU Radio.

-Jeff