Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Matlab interface to USRP
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 21:36:25 +0100

Eric Blossom wrote:
I have no interest in supporting an interface to MATLAB, or any other
proprietary software for that matter.  I'd be much more interested in
working with Octave, or better yet, working up an excellent
interface to scipy.   Just because EE's are trained in MATLAB, doesn't
mean that it's even a reasonable tool to use.   Do you know of any
other language the allows only a single externally visible function
PER FILE???  Come on folks, stop drinking the kool-aid.

Absolutely. Matlab has been far too long teaching poor coding practices to upcoming SDR and signal processing engineers. It's a horrible language that is really a very bad teaching tool for the future challenges we face.

matplotlib supports pretty much all the high-level plotting features
found in MATLAB, and does it in Python, a language that provides a lot
more leverage than MATLAB.  scipy's got all the linear algebra, and
and ever expanding set of functions / toolboxes.

Scipy, numpy, and matplotlib have completely replaced my indoctrinated use of Matlab from my EE undergrad days. They have almost as much in their toolbase (if you are willing to pay the extra $200 for the Comms toolbox, which requires the extra $200 for the signal processing toolbox you get a few neat features not included in the free software world), run faster, and actually use real coding practices like objects and callback functions. No, I don't consider how Matlab does them to be real objects or real callback functions.

This has been a recent campaign of mine, so I had to add something to the discussion.

Tom