Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MinGW install problem

From: Don Ward
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MinGW install problem
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:21:47 -0400

Rob Walker wrote:

I have a working version of GNU Radio 3.0.4 on a MinGW system and noticed that new instructions had been posted for 3.1.2 so thought I'd give it a shot but ran into the following problem when running the ./bootstrap command just after the makefiles patch:

$ ./bootstrap
configure.ac:21 <http://configure.ac:21/> : error: Autoconf version 2.57 or higher is required
[...]
I'm pretty sure I followed all the instructions up to that point and used all the correct file versions, but when I did an "autoscan -V" I saw that I have version 2.56 of autoconf.Can anyone help?

GNU Radio 3.1.2 requires several MSYS/MinGW packages that were not required by earlier releases. You need the following:

- autoconf 2.59 (or later)
- automake 1.9.5 (or later)
- libtool 1.5 (or later)

These are available from the sourceforge MinGW/MSYS repository as autoconf-2.59-mingwPORT.tar.bz2, automake-1.9.5-mingwPORT.tar.bz2, and libtool-1.5.22-mingwPORT.tar.bz2. To install these, download the files to /usr/src, unpack them with tar jxf, cd to the each unpacked directory, and build the package with "./mingwPORT.sh".

If you get "wget: command not found", you will first need to download wget-1.9.1-mingwPORT.tar.gz, unpack it with tar zxf, and copy mingwPORT/wget.exe to /usr/local/bin.

I also needed an extra step to work around a problem in automake:

aclocal_exe=`which aclocal`
sed s,C:/,/C/,g $aclocal_exe > aclocal.tmp
mv -f aclocal.tmp $aclocal_exe

You may need to repeat the above step, substituting "autoconf" for "aclocal".

You may need to start a new MSYS shell for the new versions of the above tools to be seen.

These added requirements are also required for building from the svn repository. They are needed because the Windows versions of libtool do not know how to track interlibrary dependencies.

Let me know if these instructions work or if they need corrections. When we get a set that works, I will add them to the wiki.

-- Don W.