Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ask : USRP Mode-S/ADS-B project

From: Eric A. Cottrell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ask : USRP Mode-S/ADS-B project
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:29:51 -0400

Bino Oetomo wrote:
Dear All

I'm just searching about low cost ADS-B Receiver/Decoder solution.
First, I found most people using SBS-1/RadarBox. They need to use propietary BaseStation software. But there is pio that looks like have a good progress on handling the output for linux and OS-x
http://piopawlu.net/2008/04/15/sbs1-under-linux-and-mac-os-x/

And then I found GNU-Radio.
I search the discussion archieve ... and looks like Eric have magic work on it.
So .. how is the stage of this GNU-Radio USRP Mode-S project ?
Is there any specific distribution for non technical people that just want to dumb decoded mode-s message to a console or pipe it to another program/script ?

Regards
-bino-

Hello,

The code is still a work-in-progress. The hardware used, the USRP and DBSRX board, costs as much or slightly more than the RadarBox or SBS-1. It might be possible to do a simplified hardware board but I am not a hardware engineer. Mode-S/ADS-B has a 1 Megabit symbol rate which is way above what a sound card can do.

The code decodes to raw frames and the source is under my developer branch in the gnuradio repository. I need to convert it to use the new mblock scheme and to write some better output formatters and decoders. Mode-S and ADS-B are complex protocols.

My 1090 antenna was down for the winter and I am planning on putting up a better antenna even higher after the snow melts and the weather gets better.

73 Eric