Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ask : USRP Mode-S/ADS-B project

From: Bino Oetomo
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] ask : USRP Mode-S/ADS-B project
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:35:31 +0700

Hello
Eric A. Cottrell wrote:
Hello,

The code is still a work-in-progress. The hardware used, the USRP and DBSRX board, costs as much or slightly more than the RadarBox or SBS-1. It might be possible to do a simplified hardware board but I am not a hardware engineer. Mode-S/ADS-B has a 1 Megabit symbol rate which is way above what a sound card can do.

Nice to hear that it's still in active stage.

Obout the Receiver cost : I understand that, still ...
++ with this we can do some OpenSource and flexible solution
++ Hope ettus will consider to produce 1 port board. I reallize that the price cut will not that big ... since the core component (i.e : FPGA) still the same ..... but there is a "cut" anyway :)

About Symbol rate : hmmm what about DVB rx card .... i'm not sure if we can customize their demodulation to handling mode-s/ads-b ... but they capable in handling up to 45 megabit/sec symbolrate , and capable of handling freq around 1 Ghz cmiiw.
Arrrggh ... looks like we need to do firmware work (too many work).

Thanks for your enlightment
-bino-