Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Losing data during long collects

From: Juha Vierinen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Losing data during long collects
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:04:16 +0300

I have sampled continuously for many hours without problems. I had a
setup with USRP syncronized to an external clock. I have then measured
a constant frequency sinusoid derived out of the same clock and
verified that the ratio of consecutive complex samples was always
constant (up to a certain error term). I have also measured carefully
timed pulses that are derived out of the same clock, and they appear
exactly in the correct place even after many hours of sampling.

However, I never managed to get the normal filesink working without
dropping samples (even though others haven't had any problems). I
suspect that the filesystem was the reason. I have only tried sampling
with ext3 and mainly XFS.  Since I didn't know any better, I wrote my
own double buffered filesink block, which is available here:

http://mep.fi/juha/gnuradio.html

There is also an example sampler.py application that can be used for
sampling data. The program saves the samples as big endian short
integers. It also conveniently chops up the data into small
processable constant length files.

juha