Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] using gnuradio as a amateur radio

From: Rafael Diniz
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] using gnuradio as a amateur radio
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:48:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Eric

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 05:48:05PM -0300, rafael2k wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm using gnuradio to receive and transmit to 2 meters amateur radio,
>> and when
>> I went to buy the cable, I didn't know what impedance should I use w/
>> the
>> usrp. 50 ohm or 75 ohm?
>>
>> Can I connect an amplifier to the basic-tx without any problem?
>>
>> thanks
>> rafael diniz
>
> Please explain to me how you are planning on transmitting on 2 meters
> using the basic tx daughterboard and how you are planning on
> controlling out of band emissions.

By 2 meters (the wave length) radio I mean the range of 144-148 Mhz (here
in brazil, is the band for amateur radio class C) - I can receive and
transmit using the examples that come w/ gnuradio (fm_tx4.py and
usrp_nbfm_rcv.py).

I already bought an small antena (1/4 of wave length - its working), but
I'd like to put an antenna in the top of my home (to receive, w/
basic-rx), so I'd like to know what impedance (for the cable) should I
use.

Another issue is that in the future I would like to put an amplifier in
the output of the basic-tx to reach farther places. Is it simple as I
think it is?

USRP is really a great piece of hardware!!

I did not thought about the out of band emissions yet... may be I could
add some filters too...

Thanks,
Rafael Diniz