Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio and GPL licensing issues (again)

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio and GPL licensing issues (again)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 19:08:20 -0400

Thanks for the responses thus far (both on and off list); I will summarize once the topic has reasonably finished discussion.

As a follow-up to answer the current and important questions, please assume that:

1) I plan on distributing the source code, or making it available via some means, once the dissertation is finished. Hence the need for more info about my particular scenario, up front, so that I can make a (better) educated decision about the matter before I get too far into the programming.

2) I've negotiated with my university to allow me to choose the license, if I'm able, with the sole constraint being that I provide the university with a license free of any charges. The GPL would suffice for this license, but others would too.

3) I'm interested only in figuring out whether or not the 2 parts of my software are required to be GPL'd because of their direct and indirect use of GNU Radio, and which license variant of GPL I can choose, if any and if required.