Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using USRP/GNURADIO Commercially

From: Gregory Maxwell
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using USRP/GNURADIO Commercially
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 19:35:19 -0400

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Rudy Moore <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:55:50 -0700
>> From: address@hidden
>> > I'm sorry, but that is illegal. You can use the USRP, but not the
>> > GNURADIO firmware or software.
>> >

>> Um, no.
>
> Okay you got me.  But answer me this: Why did we (the gnuradio experts)
> select a license that does not provide a clear answer to Matt's question?

Um.  WTF?

The preamble to the GPLv3 states in its preamble: "For example, if you
distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you
must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received.
You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code.
And you must show them these terms so they know their rights."

Commercial sale is an orthogonal issue to most of what the licensing
is doing. You are welcome, even encouraged to make commercial use of
the software. Please do so and enhance the diversity of usage ....
we'll all gain.

Commercial use/sale is clearly and explicitly *permitted*.   However,
like any other contract or license you have certain obligations. For
the GPL (any version) your primary obligation is that if you
redistribute the GPL licensed software or modified versions you must
pass on the code (and the code for any modifications) along with the
same rights (allowing further redistribution of those GPL covered
components, allowing modification).  You can charge any price you
like, and you're only obligated to pass on the code to those you sold
or gave the binaries to.

This is not rocket science. The GPL (v3) is one of the most
straight-forward and human readable non-trivial licenses or contracts
that I've ever seen.

Of course, it's also good advice to consult a knowledgeable attorney
on even the most simplistic and common transactions of importance..
Real estate, software licensing for a product... no difference.

I notice you also mention USRP.  Please keep in mind that if you build
a radio transmitting device using the USRP you will almost certainly
be subject to FCC (in the US) regulation as well as radio licensing in
whatever countries your product is sold in.  I'm not aware of anyone
obtaining type approval for a USRP based device, and doing so may by
tricky.  This is true even if your device operates solely in the
"license free" ISM bands.