Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel measurements?

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel measurements?
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:51:18 -0400

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Jason Uher <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> What is the best way to measure the channel for use in space-time
> coding schemes using an RFX2400 board?
>
> As far as I know you can only get the I and Q streams out of the USRP,
> and I'm not sure how you would get a set of channel coefficients.
>
> I am planning on using the conjugate of the measured channel to
> 'reverse' the damage done by transmission.
>
> Sorry if I am missing something fundamental here, I've only done
> channel coding in theory and am trying to get a practical
> implementation going on.

I'm no expert, but it seems like the general procedure for
equalization is as follows:

    - Send some type of reference signal followed by unknown data
    - Figure out the channel using the known reference signal
    - Invert the channel conditions to the best of your ability
    - Apply inverse channel to unknowns

Good luck!

Brian