Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel measurements?

From: Nikhil
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel measurements?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:46:57 -0400

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:14 PM, Mohammad Hamed Firooz <address@hidden> wrote:

That is not always true, actually it depends on when and where you are going to measure a channel, For example in a office during a day, channel could change several times in a second.

That's correct Hamed.  I don't disagree with what you just wrote.  By "consistent with variations in the channel" in the message prior to the last one, I was implying at a meaningful rate.  So probing an indoor channel 1000 times a second at peak people-traffic times is more than adequate.  And between successive "probes" you have enough time to transfer the captured sequence over the USB at a slower rate than the max. sampling rate of 64 MSamples per second in the Rx.  But this assumes you can store about 2kB of data on the FPGA.

Nikhil

So for indoor applications a channel sounder should be as fast as possible.

I can refer you to these papers to study more channe behavior:

K.Pahlavan, et.al. Indoor Geolocation Science and Technology
N.Patwari, et.al. Robust Location Distinction using Temporal Link Signatures

you can also see our website for more information and papers: http://span.ece.utah.edu/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.PHY-basedDistinction

regards,
hamed

Quoting Nikhil <address@hidden>:

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Johnathan Corgan <
address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Nikhil <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm curious -- in a channel sounder application what benefit, if any is
> there to performing the cross-correlation on the FPGA?  This is  assuming
> you are continuously transmitting the PRBS and computing the impulse
> response at the receive end at a rate that is consistent with variations
in
> the channel (i.e. not continuously).

The channel sounder transmitter is sending the PRNG modulated BPSK at
32 Mchips/sec.  You need to do the correlation at this speed; it's not
possible to send that much data over the USB to the host.

I was thinking that since you don't need to probe the channel at the Rx
continuously as it does not change that fast,  one solution would be to
buffer a sequence length (~2kB for a 511 bit m-seq) and then transfer it
over the USB link at a slower rate.

A channel sounder in software would work for chip rates less than 4
Mchip/sec.  But that limits the resolution of your impulse response to
about 250 ns per bin, or 75 meters per bin in the spatial domain.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC