RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband timestamp issues

From: Eric Schneider
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband timestamp issues
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:04:07 -0600

Just thinking out loud here...

Given your suggested solution (which I like):

N RX Sample Streams -> N Packet Builders -> N Packet FIFOs -> N:1 FIFO MUX
-> FX2 USB Interface

The FIFO MUX could be a module that implements a virtual FIFO output, and
automatically selects (and emulates) the input FIFO based on fullness, so
that the fullest FIFO always gets read first.  A tie would default to
natural ordering.  There should also be a minimum size (128?) or a
channel_ready input to prevent premature FX2 transfer.  Sounds pretty simple
and should just drop-in to the existing design.

What about moving the Packet FIFO into packet_builder?  It seems like we are
just be wasting cycles by pushing headers to an external FIFO when we could
handle that with some read logic.  In this way, the first "FIFO" reads from
packet_builder actually output internally generated/stored header values,
then later the internal FIFO with the channel data.  But maybe it's more
trouble than it's worth.

--ets