Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband timestamp issues

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] inband timestamp issues
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:20:29 -0700

Hi Eric,

Most, if not all, of our FPGA work is done by an undergrad here who knows Verilog. He might not be able to contribute until September, as our first week of classes is this week and things need to settle.

If you have Verilog experience and want to work with me on tackling the problem, I'd be more than happy to work with you. We use Quartus tools to build the FPGA, which are completely free, and there is also a simulator available for it too if we are (and should) building some test benches.

If you're a Linux user, like us, we run everything through VMWare with a Windows XP image and it works just fine.

Here is where you can get the web edition:
http://www.altera.com/products/software/quartus-ii/web-edition/qts-we-index.html

This is the FPGA code branch I work out of:
http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/gnuradio/branches/developers/gnychis/fpga

We can work together on changes to the branch, without you having SVN commit access any changes you'd like to make you might have to push through me as patches... but regardless, we can figure out a way.

I'm free to work with you at any time, even when I'm traveling, I just want to get things done ASAP :)

- George

PS.  I pushed this to the list because its slightly useful information

Eric Schneider wrote:
George, thanks for the direction (I'm brand new to the m-block stuff)...
Worked fine, did the delta in cc, too lazy to do post processing. ;-)
Certainly looks like the FIFO are periodically get backed up, causing the
variance.
Deltas from the erroneous sequence:
8063
22369
987
985
7915
8065

The average is 8064, so it would seem than it is all about the buffer backup
(the total reported deltas add up correctly).

Looking forward to working with you on the timestamp issues.  I think I've
got a handle on the relevant areas of the FPGA design now, so hopefully I
can help out.

Hope your trip went well,

Eric