Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3rd party software

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] 3rd party software
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:20:45 -0700

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 11:45:15AM -0700, Eric Blossom wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 02:21:19PM -0400, George Nychis wrote:
> >
> > Additionally, 3rd party support is a great way to gather code for someone
> > to look at what else is available out there.  For example, there was
> > multi-path code someone posted a while back that they had to go through
> > some hassle to setup their own server to host it.  That server is likely
> > down by now.  If there was some additional repo they could commit it to,
> > we'd have it right here right now to work from, and so could other people.
> >
> > Maybe an additional SVN is what we need.  Maybe a GIT repo.  A wiki so that
> > people can provide some information about their code.  We need something.
> > I don't care of its officially supported by GNU Radio or not, but I think
> > it would certainly benefit the GNU Radio community.
> >
> > - George

The slightly longer response:

I think these are all great ideas, and I think they'd be a valuable
contribution to the GNU Radio community.  CPAN (The Comprehensive Perl
Archive Network) and CEAN (the Comprehensive Erlang Archive Network)
are but two implementations of similar ideas.  CPAN has been wildly
successful and is part of what has driven Perl's popularity.

If you want to try git -- or whatever -- please do, and keep us informed!

Eric