[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 FPGA Notes

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 FPGA Notes
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:54:27 -0700

Please note that the USRP2 uses a Spartan 3-2000 chip. This means that if you intend to do your own FPGA development, you need to use the full version of the Xilinx tools in order to generate an image for it. You cannot use the free web pack version. Thus there are several options for you:

- Just use the prebuilt FPGA images we provide
- Purchase the full version of ISE from Xilinx
- Get a 60 day demo version from the Xilinx Web Site
- Convince your Xilinx apps engineer to get you a free copy
- Universities often get the tools free of charge
- Release your changes to the community and we can find some sort of way to build them for you (if anybody wants to work on putting together some scripts to do this automatically, let me know).

Matt