Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OOK reception

From: Dan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OOK reception
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 16:28:10 -0400

complex_to_mag_squared is many many times faster than complex_to_mag.
Using it would reduce your CPU consumption.

Okay, I changed the block from complex_to_mag to mag_squared and it seems to work well, thanks.

However, I am still looking for a way to prevent writing to file when a signal is not being received.  That is what drew me to the pwr_squelch_cc as it has a gating feature.  I would like some sort of gating feature for the receive chain but it could always be done after the OOK demodulation.

It seems the simplest way would be to count the zeroes coming through and gate the output when a certain number are reached.  The device could then wake up and write when a 1 (or several) are received.  Here is an example:

usrp.source_c -> complex_to_mag_squared -> add_const_ff( -const ) -> binary_slicer_fb -> ??? gate of some sort -> file_sink

This would reduce the amount of data stored when signals are few and far between.  I am just dealing with raw data so there would be no pattern to watch for besides signal strength past a threshold.

Is there any sort of block I could use to do this?  Or maybe it should be approached from another angle?  I can always write a block if necessary, just trying to simplify if possible.

Thanks,

Dan