Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Inefficiency of message passing in inband code

From: George Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Inefficiency of message passing in inband code
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 16:41:28 -0400

Eric Blossom wrote:
The pmt type probably needs to be reimplemented.  The current version
was coded in about 1 day.  It was the simplest thing that could have
possibly worked.  I'm disinclined to go with statically typed messages
for a number of reasons that I don't have time to go into now.  Think
about lisp, scheme, python, ruby, erlang...  marshalling
self-describing data across a network connection...

Just a little bit from just about the only person who has *actually* used the PMT type other than Eric ;) I definitely agree with Eric against statically typed messages. It will severely impact a major goal of the PMT, which is to support dynamic messages between blocks for MAC implementations. :)

- George