Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] S-l-o-w start up (maybe related to: Catching mou

From: George P Nychis
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] S-l-o-w start up (maybe related to: Catching mouse clicks in fft_sink)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 06:48:47 -0400 (EDT)

> It is probably unrelated to the mouse behavuour but I'm experiencing
> *very* slow start up of my very simple app. The gadgets at the right hand
> side of the fft panel for setting the units, etc. aren't appearing and
> neither are the menu and status bars. I have done a fresh build from the
> 3.1.3 tarball (after purging the 2.6 wxpython files) and verified against
> the audio_fft.py which also behaves the same (non-gui things work fine).
> Any appropriate clues, hints or advice is welcome.

Sounds like your system could be sucking wind.  Have you looked at "top" to see
what your top processes are in terms of CPU and memory usage before starting
your simple GNU Radio application?  If something is currently eating up your
CPU, everything is going to lag.  Given that things don't change on your build,
I'm guessing it's your system.  Do you run something like compiz-fusion/XGL/etc?

- George