Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python Headers

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Python Headers
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 14:43:02 -0500

Yes the pygtk version in cygwin's setup.exe is 2.6.3-1. And while installing
GRC, the configure doesn't even find it. And so I downloaded pygtk-2.12.1.
But configuring it gave the error 'cannot find python headers'.

I installed python from source. A newer version python-2.5.2 instead of
cygwin's python-2.5.1.
And then configuring pygtk could successfully find the python headers.

But now pygtk needed pygobject. Sow I downloaded pygobject source, and
configuring pygobject needed glib version greater that 2.14, so I downloaded
glib2.19. Then glib2.19 needed 'gettext' so I used setup.exe to install
gettext. Then glib2.19 configured and installed successfully. Then
configuring pygobject didn't give glib's error, instead it said 'libffi
support: no' and stopped.
I installed libffi from source, but pygobject still gives the same error.

Thats why it was nice when cygwin came with a working version of pygtk (of course that was a few yrs ago), and GRC did work.

Conclusion: GRC still not successful on cygwin!!

Anyone used GRC with cygwin???

Can anyone tell me which is the best environment for GNU Radio??

If you have your heart set in windows. MinGW might work nicely, and you can use the native windows builds of pygtk + gtk runtime.

But ultimately, the best environment is an actual unix environment, that has a package manager for all the gnuradio dependencies. Like ubuntu, fedora, some bsds.

-Josh