Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP2 questions

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: USRP2 questions
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:26:31 -0800

Quoc Lai wrote:
Eric Blossom wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 01:48:34AM +0300, Juha Vierinen wrote:
What does it mean that USRP2 can only do MIMO with eight receivers?
What are the options for doing MIMO with, say 16 receviers?
You would need to design and build some kind of hub that would provide
the clocks and synchronization for the 16 receivers using their MIMO
interfaces.  Depending on how you programmed the hub, you could just
send the control from there, and then send the sample data over the
ethernet interfaces on each of the 16 USRPs.

You'd need some serious computational power to process 16 channels,
each streaming 100MB/s of data.  Sounds like fun :)

Eric

Hi Eric,

Is the hub needed for any MIMO systems using USRP2? I want to build a 4x4 MIMO. Do I have the synchronization problem?

Each USRP2 can handle 1 antenna with most daughterboards, or 2 if you have your own external RF sections connected to the USRP2 at IF.

A dual USRP2 system does not need a hub, only a cable. A quad USRP2 system would need a hub unless you were willing to have 4 ethernet connections to the host computer.

Matt