[Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 support to 802.11-like schemes

From: Yihu Li
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP2 support to 802.11-like schemes
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 21:48:45 -0500

Hi,

I am new to gnuradio and trying to do some work based on 802.11. Through my understanding, the current implementations of 802.11-like schemes over gnuradio are mostly limitted by the processing delay on and between the host computer and USRP boards, eapecially due to the bottleneck of the USB connection between the USRP and host computer. Due to such delay limitations, in the implementations to 802.11 with USRP, the bandwidth has to be scaled down and some tuning to the IFSs has to be done to make the implementation work.

Now USRP2 offers Gigaehernet connection and more powerful signal processing hardwares. To what extent USRP2 solve the limitations of implementing a full-powerful 802.11 over the current gnuradio framework (together with the new m-block)? Besides USRP or USRP2 boards, any other issues mattered? Do we still need to scale down the bandwidth and tune the IFSs? Are there any working implementations or studies which fully exploited the newest gnuradio framework?

Thanks a lot.

Yihu