RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrade (downgrade?) to a Q6600 CPU

From: Bob McGwier
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrade (downgrade?) to a Q6600 CPU
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:19:18 -0500

To be completely honest,  I have never understood the gain to us provided by
the COST the single threaded scheduler imposed.  I cannot find the service
the single thread scheduler provides that cannot be done more easily and
with much greater efficiency in the TPB or even before in a simpler worker
thread pool thing but I am sure this is my ignorance.  Of course, it is easy
to criticize when I did not write it and when the author is in the middle of
the Atlantic with a torn sail limping home (take it easy, he was 30 nm from
the end at 7 this morning)!

Well anyway, we are there now with TPB and that is only going to get better.

I would prefer to have enabled and know how to set this in the config file
than to have environment variables alone.

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"And yes I said, yes I will Yes", Molly Bloom