Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrade (downgrade?) to a Q6600 CPU

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upgrade (downgrade?) to a Q6600 CPU
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:53:44 -0800

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Bob McGwier <address@hidden> wrote:

> To be completely honest,  I have never understood the gain to us provided by
> the COST the single threaded scheduler imposed.  I cannot find the service
> the single thread scheduler provides that cannot be done more easily and
> with much greater efficiency in the TPB or even before in a simpler worker
> thread pool thing but I am sure this is my ignorance.

The default is to use the thread-per-block scheduler.  It is almost
always better than the single-threaded scheduler, but there are some
pathological cases where it isn't.  One case is where there are simply
too many blocks, as in the case of the wideband gr-pager receiver.
This application creates ~1500 blocks as it is simultaneously decoding
120 FSK channels across 3 MHz.  This can exhaust resources in some
environments.

> Of course, it is easy
> to criticize when I did not write it and when the author is in the middle of
> the Atlantic with a torn sail limping home (take it easy, he was 30 nm from
> the end at 7 this morning)!

Boo hoo.  Sailing the Atlantic for several weeks, fresh salt air
breezes, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, the physical workout--I'm
having a hard time feeling sympathy for a torn sail :)

> I would prefer to have enabled and know how to set this in the config file
> than to have environment variables alone.

Again, the tpb is the default; you've already been using it.

-Johnathan