RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel Atom is NICE.

From: Bob McGwier
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel Atom is NICE.
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 06:11:03 -0500

The intel graphics chip set and northbridge are power hungry.  I think the idea
is optimize code for the 330 and not the peripherals with this inexpensive and
easy to use Mobo.  The disk drive is hungry as well.

The Intel ATOM Z500 family are mobile processors that have the same SIMD
registers,  support LCD,  good GigE support, and the potential wart (POTENTIAL)
is the 100 or 133 MHz FSB.

http://www.axiomtek.com.tw/Products/ViewProduct.asp?view=680#3

The Virginia Tech Mobile (SDR/CR) groups are looking at these (largest SDR/CR
department in the world I think).

I think we want to optimize SIMD code and see what we can get running on these
prepackaged, easy to get up and running systems as well as the SoC parts such
as that family of TI OMAP parts carried on the Beagleboard.

One does NOT need to spend thousands of dollars on an SDR computer for most
operations.   That is a convenient excuse for me to justify my computer budget
for "development" and get high end things to play with (so I can kill aliens
from another galaxy or FSU laboratory with impressive graphics in my "spare
time").  But most people need to really justify the need for the high end
computer in my mind and they cannot.  That is my point in all of this.

SDR wants to be on consumer/commodity level processors and SoC to be in
everyone's "coffee budget" and taken for granted in the ideal world in my book.
 There seems to be little gained by optimizing this for Quad core extreme
processors with massive GPU's sitting on them,  tons of expensive high speed
memory, and the world's fastest drives and costing well upwards of $1000 US.
Lightweight,  easy to distribute, with browser level GUI's and distributed
everything on inexpensive processors and we rule the world.  You can call me
Dr. No. and SDR Working group chairman stands for SPECTRE DUMB RESEARCH working
group.

Cheers,
Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"And yes I said, yes I will Yes", Molly Bloom