Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tx path questions

From: Ronaldo Nunez
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tx path questions
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:41:22 -0300

Thank you for your answer Mr. Blossom,
So, the tx path is something like this:

PC --> USB --> CIC(FPGA) --> AD9862 --> Daughter Board --> Antenna

There is two frequencies involved in all transmissions:
* A signal frequency (f_signal), generated by sig_source_c().
* A RF frequency (f_tx), set with target_freq in tune().

The signal (which frequency is f_signal) is interpolated by a factor between 4 and 512 on CIC interpolator,
after it is up converted to the RF frequency (by the NCO on fine modulator), so it is moved +- fdac/4 or fdac/8 on coarse modulator.
The signal will be converted to analog (DAC) and amplified and transmitted.

Be free to correct me, I need to know exactly how USRP and GNUradio works.

Thanks for all!

Best regards,

Ronaldo Nunez

2009/1/5 Eric Blossom <address@hidden>
On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 09:48:47AM -0300, Ronaldo Nunez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a doubt about coarse modulation in AD9862 (tx path).
> I saw in the faq (http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UsrpFAQ/ADC)  "...Block B
> only moves the signal +/- fs/4 or fs/8"...
> OK, but when it moves fs/4 and when it moves fs/8? Is that controllable by
> software?

It's transparently controlled by software.  Look at usrp_standard.{h,cc}

> Another question:
> Is the DAC frequency (fdac in the AD9862 datasheet) the same as
> target_freq parameter in the tune function?

fdac is a constant, 128MHz.  target_freq is the RF frequency that you
desire to have appear at 0 Hz in the complex baseband.

Eric

--
Ronaldo A. Viera Nunez

Santa Maria - RS - Brasil