[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: uses gr.file_sink 32 bit or 64 bit

From: Markus Feldmann
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: uses gr.file_sink 32 bit or 64 bit
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:54:21 +0200

Patrick Strasser schrieb:
feldmaus wrote am 2009-03-27 20:52:

Further on my graphic does not look like my spectrum in the
FFT-sink.

A FFT sink displays the frequency domain, it's amplitude versus frequency.
Printing the samples shows the time domain, amplitude versus time.

The FFT sink feeds the samples through a FFT-block, resulting in its name.
A scope sink just plots the samples, as you try with Matlab/Octave.
You are right, thats also what i am thinking, but to these
samples through a fft, i have to know what is a sample !

Thats the topic of this post.
Thats what i not understand.

What is a sample ?
For example, is this ONE sample ?
   24 +  5i

The left is a 32bit I part and the right is the Q part ?
But as i read I and Q are complex, so i sink I and Q will
be changed from line to line ?
If i need more than one line for one sample, how many lines
do i need for the fft ?

Regards Markus