Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp2 windows port

From: Michael Sprauer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp2 windows port
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:11:30 +0200

Am Sonntag, 9. August 2009 21:50:25 schrieb Eric Blossom:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2009 at 08:49:51PM +0200, Michael Sprauer wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, 6. August 2009 02:08:46 schrieben Sie:

> > > If receiving or sending raw frames is hard on Windows, the USRP2
> > > should become much easier to interface when the project switches over
> > > to using UDP packets to/from the USRP2.  I think that's scheduled for
> > > late fall 2009 or so.
> > >
> > >       John
> >
> > So does it make sense to rewrite it for pcap lib?
>
> Your call.  Under Linux, the current system works.
> When we move to UDP, it ought to be relatively straight-forward to get
> it running well on pretty much any platform.
>
> > I finally managed to compile it with basic functionality. Now I'm trying
> > to communicat with the box somehow. More news on this will follow next
> > week.
> >
> > I had an issue with the gr-usrp2 python stuff. With the
> > std::vector<uint32_t> to be more precise. Sometimes uint32_t is an
> > unsigned int and sometimes an unsigned long. But I guess unsigned long is
> > the intended type.
>
> I think you misunderstand the purpose of the explicit sized typedefs
> in stdint.h.  When we ask for a uint32_t we want an unsigned 32-bit
> integer.  We don't care what it's called.  We care very much about its
> size, since it's part of the specification of the on-the-wire format.

I'm pretty sure I didn't get the point of this typedefs. But my gcc compiler
didn't grasp it either. But unsigned int and unsigned long are both 4bytes, at
least on my Win32 XP-System so maybe it's not to wired. Maybe I find some time
to track it down once I finished the other parts.

Today a had the "first contact" with the USRP2 via ethernet. But I realized,
that I'd have to rewrite major parts of the memory handling in the receiving
part as kernel buffer is not supported by pcap. I'd suggest to rewrite it
completely so that the linux part is also using the pcap-lib for better code
maintenance.
What is your opinion?

Michael