[Discuss-gnuradio] Clock Sync Problems + Timestamp question

From: Tim Pearce
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Clock Sync Problems + Timestamp question
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:20:26 +0100

Hi,

I've been trying to get two USRP2's with their clocks both synced to a 10MHz reference (for now the same reference from the back of some test equipment) - to do this I'm using the following code:

        in_pipe1=usrp2.source_32fc('eth0')
        in_pipe2=usrp2.source_32fc('eth2')

        in_pipe1.config_mimo(usrp2.MC_WE_LOCK_TO_SMA)
        in_pipe2.config_mimo(usrp2.MC_WE_LOCK_TO_SMA)

As a quick test I then connected each usrp2 to a complex oscilloscope (i.e scopesink2.scope_sink_c)

This sort of works -- checking on the test clock pins on each USRP2 the 100MHz clocks are locked.

Unfortunately putting in a sine wave from a lab sig gen garbage is seen -- a constant DC signal on the BasicRX and what looks like modulated noise on the DBSRX (testing at different frequencies on both boards) -- the signal looks as expected if the config_mimo line is commented (and the usrp2's restarted).

Am I missing something obvious?

Both USRP's have the latest compiled firmware I could find (11370). We're on a svn version from a few months ago due to the old short packet problem -- could this be the issue though it seems more hardware-y as from reading the firmware code all that command should do is change one of the output registers on the microprocessor?

----

I'm also trying to attach the timestamp data do each sample -- as far as I can tell this is sent to give the sample timestamp for the first sample in each ethernet frame (then incremented by 1 for each subsequent sample in the frame)

I think I have to create a new C++ block based on USRP2_SOURCE_32FC() to define a second output stream and connect the rx-metadata::timestamp (which is a uint32) to this output -- is this correct or can I access the data within a custom (or current) block further down the line somehow already?

Thanks in advance,

Tim