[Discuss-gnuradio] scientific computing repository update

From: Brett L. Trotter
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] scientific computing repository update
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:12:52 -0600

I hate to be partly off topic, but I wanted to give an update on the
repository I shared a few days ago.

I created the repository because I've been using RHEL/CentOS for
GNURadio and Octave a long time and wanted to help others do so since it
can be a chore on the slower distributions. Although I've been porting
and packaging a long time, I admit I'm new to running a repository and
may have made some beginner mistakes in that area.

I made the announcement on the 6th after getting some initial RPMs up,
and later found out that there may have been some RPMs I'd built locally
long ago that may have been used in the build process but weren't
actually in my repository which were causing failed dependencies in yum.

I worked for several days to improve the packaging of the RPMs provided,
and added several new packages.  I went through and made sure everything
was signed and included, so all dependencies should now be resolved. I
apologize if anyone gave it a try and encountered problems, and I hope
they'll try again.

If there are other packages you'd like to work on RHEL/CentOS or are
having problems with the ones posted, I'll be happy to try and remedy
the situation. I'm also open to packaging suggestions or corrections
such as trying to put some of these off to the side with alternate
package names. I'm all ears and just want to make GNURadio more accessible.

-Brett

P.S. I'm still in the process of getting a mock build environment for
RHEL organized so I can create the i386 repository, which should clean
up some of the few remaining library issues as well as make GNURadio a
little more accessible. Lastly, I hope to include SDL support sooner or
later, but it's dependency heck and ultimately messes with packages like
nss which is dangerous and needs to be done carefully.